Monday, November 12, 2012

Made It! - DIY Hand Print Ornaments

I love baby hand prints, they're just the cutest! Last year I was able to get a little hand print from Caden for our Thanksgiving pictures. This year, I decided to make a hand print ornament for our Christmas tree. Thanks to this post from A Sorta Fairytale, I was able to figure out how to make the ornaments.


What you'll need:
  • An Embossing Heat Tool
  • Clear Embossing Ink
  • Embossing Powder (in whatever color you like)
  • Glass Ornaments (in whatever color you like)
  • Paint Pen
  • A Small Child
We used 3 inch glass ornaments from Hobby Lobby, they seemed to fit Caden's hand best. I've heard that plastic ornaments are nice to use for babies, however I'm pretty sure they would melt from the heat of the embossing heat tool.

Caden squished his hand all over the clear ink pad, I made sure his hand was well inked, then handed him the ornament, he gripped it perfectly and let go without any issues. If you're working with a baby you can ink their hand, gently pull back on the skin on the top of their hand to open their palm and fingers, then gently press against the ornament.

Next, sprinkle the embossing powder over the hand print and watch it appear. You may need to clean up a few spots with a q-tip, heat 'til the embossing powder is shiny.

Let cool, hang a ribbon through the ornament loop, write the year or your child's name on the ornament and you're done!

We did "mess up" one of the ornaments... we didn't press down hard enough so the hand print didn't show, before heating the embossing powder, I tried washing it off with soap and water, which smeared the foil color and some water got underneath it, making the foil color bubble and flake off when heated.

Have fun making these and be sure to send me a picture I'd love to see your creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. We love to hear from our readers!