Caden's Birth

Our Victorious Warrior with a Pure Heart 
the Birth Story of Caden

The Lord your God in your midst, the Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over with you with singing.
Zephaniah 1:17

Knowing our baby would be born in a few days, David and I went out for Mexican food, and a movie. I noticed myself waddling a lot as we walked around, and I felt like I needed to find a bathroom every few minutes. It was a fun night and I'm glad we could go out.

The day before Caden was born, I had had some minor contractions, by the time David was ready to leave for work the contractions had stopped. We made a plan in case my water broke and I couldn't get a hold of David, his cell phone doesn't get reception in his office. So he went off to work and I stayed home getting the house and myself ready for a baby. I walked around our neighborhood and called my friend Amy, she encouraged me and reminded me to pray in tongues during the contractions or anytime I felt I needed some extra help. Nothing else labor related happened that day. 

Today Is Caden's Day!

We were believing for a pain free and quick birth. Realizing the "normal" symptoms of giving birth wouldn't apply to us, I asked God to let me know when I was in labor.

I woke up around 4 am feeling some contractions, they were about 10-15 minutes apart and about 30 seconds long. I was able to sleep through most of them, I knew I'd need my strength for later. 

Around 6 am the mucus plug came out, quite excited I woke David up and told him our baby would be born today. We called our midwife, she told us to keep in touch and let her know when anything changed. We called our parents to let them know labor was starting, and David called work to let them know he wouldn't be in. I was so happy David stayed home, he is such and encouragement and blessing to me in every way. 

We rested several more hours, then got up to start our day. David filled the birthing pool with air and I took the sheets and blankets off our bed. In between contractions, I made breakfast, that was fun! When I sat down on my exercise ball to eat breakfast I felt a gush, it seemed like my water broke, although it wasn't the huge amount I had expected. We called our midwife, she came to check me around 2:30 pm, I was already 7 cm dilated, I only needed to go to 10 cm. While Merrie was checking me she accidentally broke the rest of my water - or so we thought, there was a warm gush of water and a flood on the bed, David rushed for towels. She told us I was in active labor and further along than I was acting and that I didn't seem like a first time Mom. David and I joked around and laughed while the girls were bringing in the equipment. 

I was pretty calm, the contrations didn't hurt they were just getting more and more intense. The only way I can think of to describe what I was feeling was a lot of pressure and really bad Charlie horses or extremely strong cramps in my lower abdomen. The contractions kept coming closer and stronger and lasting longer. The best way for me to get through the contractions was to let David know one was coming a few seconds before so he could push on my lower back, something about David's warm hands and the pressure helped with the intensity. It also helped for me to lean against the wall with my head in my arms. I never felt back labor, everything was in my abs. And I never thought "Oh that one hurt". David prayed with me several times, as did the midwives, and I prayed in tongues several times. I did throw up once, I felt the urge and someone gave me a tiny bowl, I knew I would fill the bowl, so  headed to the bathroom, the girls told me it was impressive, I was just glad I had cleaned the toilet!

At some point I lost track of time and only remember bits and pieces of what was happening.

I labored in the pool for a while, the water was warm but I couldn't relax. I was having cold and hot flashes and got irritated. Some of the contractions were so strong I wanted to stand up. The girls started pushing on my hips while David pushed on my lower back, that was really nice! I was feeling the need to push but hadn't figured out what muscles to use. We tried several positions, but nothing seemed to be working. Merrie checked me again and I felt the rest of my water break! Such relief! Someone mentioned it was almost 6 pm, I figured the baby would be born soon.

Eventually we moved to the bed, so I could rest, we tried pushing there but I knew I couldn't push out a baby laying down. I asked to stand, with every contraction I squatted and let gravity help move the baby down. David supported me. Soon my legs gave out, they felt like jello. I felt like the time we hiked Grey's and Torey's Peak two 14er's (mountains that are 14,000 feet plus), I could only do Grey's Peak before becoming exhausted.

They gave me water, juice, liquid calcium, tinctures, things to boost my energy and blood sugar, and orange sherbet mixed with honey - that was gross, it stuck to my tonsils.

I asked if I could sit down, they brought in a birthing stool, I was so happy to see something to sit on, that I sat on the baby's head! I didn't realize he was right there! That gave me a lot of encouragement. David could see his head and I could feel it. At that point I decided that whatever it took, now was the time. I really didn't want to tear, but I was so tired and decided it was ok to tear a little if that would help the baby be born sooner, I just wanted to see him, hold him, and have labor be done. The next three contractions were the strongest but the best!

Contraction #1 - Caden's head crowned. The ring of fire, was the most intense pain I felt the whole labor. Then he wiggled, at that point I was determined when the next contraction came to make sure he came out all the way.

Contraction #2 - One good push and Caden was born! I felt such relief! He came out sucking his hand, which meant I needed to push out his head, hand and shoulders (compound presentation). I don't remember hearing him cry, David said he cried later and just made little noises when he was first born. Merrie handed Caden to us and wrapped a towel over us to keep him warm. He was beautiful! Perfect! With a head full of dark hair, chipmunk cheeks and a double chin! It was wonderfully indescribable how it felt to finally see our boy and hold him. 

Contraction #3 - They told me it might take 30 - 60 minutes for the placenta to come out. I didn't want to wait that long. I felt the next contraction coming and pushed, the placenta came flying out and landed in the bowl with a thud. It was big and healthy!

Merrie said I could go to the bed to rest, when I stood up I told them I felt lightheaded, then fainted! David caught us and took us to the bed. Apparently I lost the extra blood quickly.

As David and I lay there looking at our baby, everything around us vanished and all I could see was my amazing husband, and our wonderful little boy, at that moment a mommy was born. Being a wife and mommy is the best thing in the whole world! Watching David play with Caden and teach him things is so much fun and those middle of the night feedings are so worth it when your little boy looks up at you with his big eyes and smiles, like he's saying thank you.

Head circumference 14 3/8 inches
Chest 13 1/4 inches
Abdomen 13 1/8 inches

Apgar Score 9 out of 10

While pregnant I didn't have any morning sickness! I ate mostly a vegetarian diet, because all meat and most dairy products made me feel sick to my stomach. Instead of pre-natal vitamins I took DHA, probiotics, antioxidants, B12, B6 and Folic Acid, Calcium, Vitamin C and Barley Max daily, and the last couple of months I took Floradix Iron, to help with anemia. We also walked 3 miles 5 days a week. Over all I gained 23 pounds. Three weeks after Caden's birth I was able to fit into my regular clothes and had lost 27 pounds, no exercising or anything!  

Giving birth was more intense than I expected. Active labor was about 6 hours, I pushed for 2 hours. From the start of contractions to the time Caden was born was 16 hours. I don't remember pain, just intenseness.

The first few days following birth were the most difficult for me, I was in a lot of pain and swollen and felt like I had a huge learning curve, none of the books or research I had done prepared me for those first few days. I did a lot of crying and praying; David prayed with me and for me, encouraged me and told me I am a good Mommy. We learned a lot! Our next pregnancy, birth, and the days following will be much easier!

My favorite books for Before, During, and After Pregnancy are: 

  • Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler 
  • The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson
  • Train Up Your Child In the Way They Should Eat by Sharon Broer
  • Your Baby's First Year Week by Week

If you have any questions about pregnancy, birth and caring for your family or want my list of online resources let me know. I'm not an expert but I have some experience!


  1. A Blessing to me that you shared your birth of Caden! Oh Tammy and David thank you so very much for sharing, so beautiful!
    Blessings To You All.
    Love, Nita Mermoud

  2. You were right! Your story did help quite a bit! Thank you very much for sharing something so personal, it was a much needed inspiration!! ~Jennifer Polkinghorne


Thank you for leaving a comment. We love to hear from our readers!