Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Made It! What A Hoot - Owl Messenger Bag


Around Christmas I made an Owl Purse for my sister. I liked it so much I decided to make one for myself, with a few variations of course...

I used the See & Sew Butterick pattern B5273. Following the same directions as I did for the Owl Purse, making the wings, tummy, eyes and beak. Then I followed the directions included with the pattern. Only one area was a bit difficult to figure out but I wanted to add a zipper instead of magnetic tabs so I skipped that part.

What I did different: 
  • I used fusible fleece to make the bag sturdy, a medium / heavy weight sew in interfacing would work great with corduroy.
  • On the inside back of the lining I added two pockets, big enough to hold a diaper, wipes and wallet (6.5 x 7.5 inches and 5.5 x 7.5 inches) and a smaller pocket (4.5x3.5 inches) on the front of one of the larger pockets, it could be used for business cards. 
  • On the inside front lining I added one medium pocket (6.5 x 4.5 inches ) great place for a phone or ipod.
  • I added a zipper instead of the magnetic closure called for in the directions. I like my items to be secure, even if they are just diapers and wipes!


What I will add or do different next time:
  • A small zippered pocket to the back of the bag, a great place to keep keys or a phone and find them easily. 
  • A light colored lining and pockets, I used teal and it's really dark inside the bag. However, with all the pockets I could take along my headlamp!
  • Figure out how to make the zipper easier to open and close. It works well, but it comes away at the lining so you have to hold both the outside bag when you open it. Maybe sewing an X over the lining and outside bag would secure it?
  • Figure out how to attach the shoulder strap without all the fuss of sewing it to the bag and trying to match the sides with 6 different pieces of material plus interfacing, when the bag is almost completed. I have several pin pricks from that thing! I think it can be done in two pieces turned right side out and attached at the opening of the bag...

What I like about this bag:

  • The color and fabric. I used a sparkly teal corduroy for the outside, flannel for the wings and tummy and cotton for the lining. I think the colors and fabric choices go well together. Lots of fun textures.
  • It's a messenger bag, easy for mom to hang onto while chasing a toddler. 
  • It doubles as a diaper bag and mom bag.
  • It's big 15.5 x 10 inches
  • The sparkle in the owl eyes.


Interested but not feeling so crafty today? 
You can purchase a What A Hoot - Messenger Bag here:  Enjoying The Adventure Store

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. We love to hear from our readers!