Saturday, October 13, 2012

Made It! - Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter

A while back we purchased a huge container of Nutiva Coconut Oil from Costco. I had read that it was great for toddlers to help them get all those yummy healthy fats they need, it's good for mama's health too and has tons of other uses. Little Bear loves it right from the spoon! Mama not so much, I kinda have to hide it, using it in place of oil or butter.

What in the world was I going to do with 78 oz of Coconut Oil? Make Whipped Coconut Oil Body Butter of course!


My friend Betsy gave me the recipe she uses and I whipped up a batch. It's lovely! 

The recipe is from Nourished And Nurtured and is super easy to make. I also found a recipe from The Nourished Life that uses just Coconut Oil! All you need is some Coconut Oil, Raw Shea Butter and Arrowroot Powder or Cornstarch. You melt the ingredients, let them cool a few minutes, whip them together with an egg beater and put the finished product in an airtight container.

I used two bowls for mixing. The first one had ice in it and the second one had the melted oils. Around 10 minutes of whipping the mixture had turned a whitish color, after 15 minutes of whipping it was thick and airy. 

This is the best body butter I've ever used! It soothes everything from razor burn to rough skin, helps prevent stretch marks and is the perfect thing for the dry winters we have in Colorado! 

If you're wondering what else you can use Coconut Oil for here's a list of 50+ things!




2 comments:

  1. We make the Nutiva lip balm at my job. Send me your address and I'll send you some. Its hemp with coconut. Smells great. I should try that recipe for my mom. She doesn't handle the dry Iowa winters well either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jessi! I'd love to check out your lip balm.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. We love to hear from our readers!